Erectile Dysfunction or ED is also called impotence in colloquial language. It is the inability of men to attain or maintain an erection in the penis for the desired time for satisfactory intimate acts. Although it’s a benign disorder and it can’t lead to any life-threatening condition but it can have a significant impact on the quality of life of sufferers and their partners. Patients of ED should consider their disorder to be diagnosed by some medical expert and subsequently should embark on any treatment.
First-Line Therapy for ED—The Oral Drugs
Some oral drugs are formulated to improve the relaxation of the smooth muscles in the penis. Categorised in the drug class of Phosphodiesterase inhibitors, the efficacy of these oral medications depend on the release of nitric oxide from the nerve terminals. The active ingredients used in the oral ED drugs kick in the system and dissolve in the bloodstream with a varying onset between 10 – 30 minutes. Thereafter the ingredient of the medication causes the release of a chemical called dopamine from the central nervous system. On the release of sufficient amount of dopamine, the excessive amount of calcium deposit around the blood vessels gets reduced. It allows the oxygenated blood to flow through the reproductive organ freely and restore the ability of the penis to gain an erection.
Here are few of the scientifically approved oral compounds which are classified as Phosphodiesterase inhibitors (PDE-5 inhibitors):
1. Sildenafil Citrate—
- An FDA approved compound which improves erectile dysfunction and is usually well tolerated by the users.
- It is not so efficacious when taken immediately after heavy or fatty meals.
- An initial dose of 50 mg Sildenafil is recommended for the initial users
- Kamagra tablets, Kamagra Jelly and Silagra tablets are few of the trusted and popular brands for generic sildenafil.
- It’s commonly used as the prime ingredient in many oral ED drugs including the most popular Apcalis jelly.
- It is approved by FDA and has a longer half-life than most other active ingredients used in ED drugs.
- It is effective after 20 minutes of consumption with a peak effect after two hours.
- Users can start with a dose of 10 mg and can increase the amount onwards, depending on the response of the drug
- It is one of the most potent medical compounds which has is used in the formulation of some medically acclaimed ED drug like Levitra.
- The ideal dose for this PDE 5 inhibiting agents is 20 mg, consuming more than that may cause unwanted effects.
- This medication should not be taken with a fatty meal.